FAQs about Secondary immunodeficiency

Here we provide answers to the questions that people have asked about secondary immunodeficiency.

Q. I have developed a secondary immunodeficiency (SID) as a result of treatment for cancer. I think I need immunoglobulin replacement therapy but my Immunologist won’t prescribe this. What should I do?

A. Ask your immunologist for your total Immunoglobulin levels and vaccine responses. They cannot prescribe you immunoglobulin treatment until you have trialled a three month continuous course or preventative antibiotics as often SID patients respond well to prophylactic antibiotics and do not require Ig therapy. Take a look at our booklet on SID.